Saturday 16 March 2013

Solo Cinema Outings

Whenever I tell people I go to the cinema by myself, 99% of the time I encounter one of two reactions.
Reaction a) "Oh my goodness, that's brave I could never do that. I wish I could but I just couldn't"
Reaction b) "Oh wow... good for you" *as a look of pity at my singleness crosses their face*
1% of the time I meet people who also share my solo cinema passion!

Today was one of those days. I was supposed to go with a friend but they cancelled and I went anyway. Last week I went to see Oz the Great and Powerful on my own and today I did the same thing. I went to see Welcome to the Punch, an action thrilled directed by Eran Creevy.
#12 Welcome to the Punch

Set in London and starring James McAvoy, Mark Strong and Andrea Riseborough this film was exactly what British action thriller cinema needed. The screenplay was good, the twist was well hidden and the filming was new and original. There were a lot of very clever shots and angles; this gave the film a Hollywood feel without the Die Hard/Bourne style FX and unrealistic action. The film was gritty, well paced and enjoyable. I'd say it's worth a watch and give it 4/5 stars.

If you've never been to the cinema on your own before I would seriously recommend it. I especially love going to see films like this (Cert 15) on Saturday mornings because you often have the cinema practically to yourself, or like me this morning, a personal screening!! Also on Saturday mornings in Moviehouse Cityside (don't know about the others) it's only £3 before 12!

No comments: